Saturday, November 01, 2014

Paphos part 1 - the zoo

Along the road when nearing Paphos zoo are plenty of banana plantations. We've been enjoying Paphos bananas, which are smaller than average bananas and sweeter, from the nearby farmers market for several years. It was nice therefore to see how they are growing in real life.

When I first heard they have tigers and lions in Paphos zoo, I was exited. I'm not a fan of animals kept in captivity though. Wild animals are happiest in the wild. So with mixed feelings and equipped with rain coats and umbrellas we entered the zoo the other weekend. We learnt that Paphos zoo started out as a bird park, therefore today with an impressive variety of birds from across the planet. After which it has grown slowly to house more and more other, both local and exotic, animals.
Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled IMG_9682 IMG_9662 My best moment this day, without doubt, was by the relatively spacious Mouflon area. Second attempt sighting one, I called - "Mouflon", "Mouflon", with an encouraging voice a few times. To my great surprise, a very very shy mufflon male, followed by a few females, suddenly emerged from their hiding place. As if expecting to seeing someone familiar. Quickly returning back to where they came from.

About the lions and tigers. While I guess the animals are as happy as they can be, being in a small fenced area. I left the zoo with a somehow uneasy feeling. My mind filled with fences and empty eyed restless tigers and lions walking back and forth just a fence away from me.

Well, at least it didn't rain this day, and the animals seemed to appreciate each others company. And, I met a Cyprus Mouflon.

2 comments:

Juliette Yiangou said...

Fina foton, gillar speciellt de gröna ormarna hihi.

Elena said...

Tack Juliette! Visst är de tjusiga, de giftgröna ormarna.

(Hittade precis din kommentar i skräpkogen.)